Pages

Labels

Saturday, June 22, 2013

40th Piece

This is the 30th piece to my first book. Hope you enjoy!

I let my fingers trace over the swirling patterns on the bowl before resting them on the lip. I slowly lift and the pink liquid sways inside. I take a deep breath before sealing my fate. I lift the bowl as high as it can go. The punch comes out first in a dribble but soon turns to a torrent of pink hitting the dark wooden floor.
I turn and grab hold of Eric’s sleeve. I undo the bow holding the skirt in place and start to run in the shorts underneath. Eric’s quick to catch on and follows me heading for the glass. I sprint the last hundred yards ignoring the open mouths and stares. I reach the window and don’t hesitate when I slam into the colored glass. It shatters instantly and the girl with the red dress and curls is no more. I land on the ground hard and start making my way to the tree from before, Eric only steps behind me. I reach the trunk and stop to catch my breath.
Adrenaline is coursing through my veins and I have to hold on to the bark to stop myself from leaving right now. I need to focus on Eric he needs out more than I do. He comes beside me seconds after and looks at me waiting for instructions.
“Go” I mouth still out of breath.
He nods and begins to scale the tree. He was always a better climber than I, while it took me more than one try the first time he is up on the lowest branch less than thirty seconds later. He stops to look down at me and I motion for him to keep climbing so he does. I stand back and look at the tree. I take a running start and get up to the lowest branch around the same time Eric reaches the top. I make it there and tell him to jump.
He looks back one last time and runs off the branch pouncing like a cat once he reaches the end. He gets to the other side and turns toward my tree with a huge smile on his face. I cling to the trunk with tears in my eyes. He notices something is wrong and mistakes it for fear of heights.
“Don’t worry I’ll catch you just let go!” He shouts.
I shake my head and yell back, “I’m not leaving,”
            The smile leaves his face and his eyes go wide. The tears start to fall.
“If I leave it will only put you in danger!” I scream out.
            I start to lower myself from the branch but not after seeing his face. Crestfallen he looked at me with fear and sadness. I climb down to guards this time in tears not laughter. They grab hold of me and I pass Giagia and the guard both looking sad and guilty. I look questioningly at them when we make eye contact but they only look away with more guilt written across their faces.
I still have the confused look on my face when a brawny man stands before me.
“You’ll be coming with me,” He says with a straight face.
I think they’re going to take me to see someone else with a dark voice and scary looking room. He leads me down hallways that have no doors and some with so many they are almost connected at the hinges. When we stop at one of the doors it looks so different than the ones I’m used to seeing at the Agency. It’s barren with nothing but a small window with bars over it at the top and a knob with an iron lock on it in the middle.
He stops to unlock the bolt and opens the door. That’s when I knew that this isn’t another meeting with a dark looming figure with a scary voice or scar. This is a holding cell. A jail cell. A cage as if the whole Agency wasn’t like one enough.
This cell is different than the one in the dungeon. It isn’t dark or cold or damp. It’s white with a blinding light shining down on the metallic walls and floor. Two chains attached to the right wall hang like bones.
My eyes go wide and I think of my chance of escaping. Not very high. The man is about twice my height with muscles the size of my head. His crew cut shows a long pink scar from the back of his head to the front. Even if I got past him this is a part of the Agency I’ve never seen before so I would definitely get lost. I sigh and allow him to bring me into my new ‘home’.
He chains me to the wall and I stand there helpless. He slaps me right across the cheek. I inhale sharply and turn my face to look at him not even trying to kick or hit him. His face turns into one that’s disgusted.
“I can’t believe you’re the one who’s related to the Boss,” He spat, “You should be used to being alone you were since you were a child, this shouldn’t be any different. But it is, all because of your little friend Eric. Now that you have someone else you have to look out for you have a weakness. You are no longer strong so we will never need you.”
I squint at him, my eyes filled with hatred and he stares back. I break first and have to look away. He’s right. Eric is my weakness.
“You’re right,” I say and he lifts the corner of his mouth into a tight smile, if you could call it that. “I am weak, but if being strong means I have to be alone without a shred of humanity, I’d rather be weak.” My voice drips with poison and never wavers.
He steps back and leans against the back wall.
“See that’s the fight we are looking for!” He says. “Too bad it’s too late and for the wrong team.”

He steps up and leaves the room. I hear the click of the lock going back in place. I look up just in time to see him staring at me through the bars before walking away.

No comments:

Post a Comment