Pages

Labels

Saturday, June 22, 2013

39th Piece

This is the 29th piece to the first book. Hope you enjoy there is more on the way!



When a slower song starts playing I grab hold of Eric’s hand and tell him to dance with me. He smirks and stands up.
            “I can’t dance stupid,” He says
            “You don’t have to dummy,” I respond
            He looks at me funny but lets me drag him to the middle of the floor. I let go of his hand and take his arms. I put them on my waist and put mine around his neck. He’s about half a foot taller than I am and I have to lift my head to look him in the eyes.
            “Now just rock back and forth,” I say loudly.
            “Okay,” He responds with a confused look on his face.
            I stand on my tiptoes to reach his ear and he lowers his head so he can hear.
            “So here’s the plan,” I whisper, “First I need to figure out how to get rid of the stupid cuff since I’m 99.9% positive it has a tracking device in it. Next we need to give the guard a distraction.” I pause for a second letting the plan formulate inside my head. “After that we can climb the tree and hop over the gate and fence. Simple really,” I state.
            “Yeah not so much, and you know that Audra. First off that cuff looks indestructible, next your guard buddy watches you like a hawk, and then there is always the little possibility that the fence is now guarded a little more after your little escape routine.” He has contradicted my entire plan and I scrunch up my nose in frustration.
            “I think that’s enough dancing for now,” I say quietly.
            Eric nods and we walk back over to the corner from before. We lean against the door and I pick at my cuff again. I scratch at it my fingernails searching for something to hook on to. There’s a crackle in my ear and I remember Giagia is still on the other end listening to every word.
            “Crap,” I mutter under my breath.
            “Audra I have a solution,” The soft silky voice in my ear says.
            I look to Eric who is watching something outside the window. I tap him on the shoulder and motion for him to look out and make sure no one sees me. He nods and steps in front of me.
            “Hello?” I whisper.
            “Yes, Audra? Can you still hear me?”
            I nod my head then remember she can’t see me.
            “Yeah, I’m here,” I say
            “Good because I need to tell you something,”
            “Okay well get on with it then!” I say quickly glancing around.
            “I have news about your father, your real one. Well he was taken and is now prisoner. Someone else has taken over. Your cousin in fact.”
            Cousin? I have a cousin? I didn’t even know I had an aunt or uncle for that matter.
            “Well you do,” I hear in my ear. My eyes widen for a second and then I remember that she can read minds, “They are both dead now and your cousin, he, well he killed them. He is evil and now in charge. He is 20 and wants to take over not just the Agency but the world. Nobody knows this and he doesn’t want them to.”
            I remember seeing my dad calling out for Lucy and am about to tell her before she interrupts.
            “Look the guard is on your side you need to remember that. For your cuff that one is a bit trickier. You have to find something really sharp and something really hot. When you find something sharp slide it into the skinny line on the side and pry it open. Then go to the thing that’s hot, fire works best, and drop it in. Tell the guard this and don’t mess it up, Ήρθε η ώρα. It means that it is time he will give instructions from there. Good luck Audra.”
            I hear another crackle and then silence. I put a hand on Eric’s shoulder and tell him what she told me. He nods and jerks his head to the left. There is a torch burning in the corner by the punch. The flames lick the air waiting to be fed. I allow a small smile to form on my face.
            “Now for something sharp,” I say quietly.
            We scour the room until I my eyes land on something shining on the wall behind the punch. A lone knife hangs from the wall next to a carving of a dragon which makes an appearance on the knife. I tap Eric and start walking to the punch bowl.
            “Cover me,” I state.
            I reach for the knife and the dragon swirls around it like a guard dog. I grab hold and the dragon stops its endless route. I turn it over and over in my hand before I slide it over the cuff locked on my wrist. The blade slips in effortlessly as if it were designed to do this job. I move it up and down the length of the metal and hear a click. It falls off and clatters on the floor. I move my hand around in a circle almost touching the freedom it held inside.
            I look around making sure no one heard and dropped down to pick up the thing that once locked me to this place and grin. I almost made it to the fire before the guard shows up at my side. I stop mid motion and pretend to not see him. My arm is raised above my shoulder the heat of the fire scorching my hand.
            “What are you doing?” he asks gruffly getting straight to the point.
            I’m so close to being free and now he’s ruined it. Then I remember.
            Ήρθε η ώρα” I say softly hoping it’s correct.
            “What?” He says in shock.
            Ήρθε η ώρα” I say a little more confidence.
            He bows his head for a few moments. Then says,
            “Drop it.”
            I do and the flame devours it hungrily. I turn to the guard and wait for instructions.
            He looks at Eric who is now staring openly at us. He points his finger the other way. Eric looks at me and I nod once. He looks a little longer hesitating before turning around. The guard looks at me like I’m a treasure before reciting the plan.
            “Only one of you can go,” is the first thing he says. I immediately think of myself leaving and basking in the open sun. I wanted to get out but then there is Eric. He’s been hurt for so long, if anyone has to stay here for another year it should be me. In fact if it wasn’t for me he wouldn’t even be stuck in this position.
            “Eric,” I say under my breath.
            “Good,” He says then runs through the plans.
I have to spill the punch grab Eric and make a break for it. The one window that is the flimsiest is the one with the girl in the red dress and curls. We run through the window shattering the glass and dropping about twelve feet and then head to the trees the way I did before. Eric will climb first and jump I will stay behind so they don’t go looking for him and they will take me.

Once he’s finished a give a single nod and step in front of the punch bowl and stare into the pink liquid that is about to change Eric’s life; and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment